One of the most bizarre films of the late sixties, Burt Lancaster stars as THE SWIMMER. Yet another epic cult film from Grindhouse Releasing, who recently tackled the re-mastering of CORRUPTION and AN AMERICAN HIPPIE IN ISRAEL; expect no less of a glorious treatment. A few of the key selling points this time around is the brand new transfer in 4K and a 12 page booklet featuring notes by Stuart Gordon and others! The flick was originally directed by Frank Perry, who left mid-shoot after citing creative differences, and was replaced by the late great Sydney Pollack to finish the schedule. Based on a short story by John Cheever, THE SWIMMER will arrive on a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack on March 11, 2014.
“THE SWIMMER is a film like no other, a feature-length TWILIGHT ZONE episode by way of THE NEW YORKER.”
In his finest performance, Burt Lancaster stars as Ned Merrill, a man who confronts his destiny by swimming home, pool by pool, through the suburban nightmare of upper-class East Coast society.
Now dig on the bonus features…
- 2 DISC SET – Deluxe dual layer Blu-ray Edition + DVD combo
- Spectacular new digital restoration created from 4K scans for optimal picture quality
- The Story of THE SWIMMER – brand new, five-part, two and one half hour documentary by Oscar-winner Chris Innis featuring in-depth interviews with stars Janet Landgard, Joan Rivers and Marge Champion, composer Marvin Hamlisch, film editor Sidney Katz, assistant directors Michael Hertzberg and Ted Zachary, UCLA Olympic swim coach Bob Horn, and Joanna Lancaster
- The original NEW YORKER short story read by author John Cheever
- 12 page booklet with liner notes by legendary director Stuart Gordon (RE-ANIMATOR)
- Rare production stills from the lost alternate scenes
- Extensive still galleries, trailers and TV spots
- AND OTHER SURPRISES!
SOURCE: Press Release
Like what you see? Be sure to also visit Pissed Off Geek too for more news and reviews with a horrific edge. To stay up to date with the latest horror news and reviews from the site be sure to "like" Truly Disturbings's Facebook page and following us on Twitter!