Here in Los Angeles, we get a lot of cool screenings. Some are in cemetery’s, library’s and hell, even mental hospitals but the folks in Pennsylvania will be given their own special treat when Awesome Fest arrives. We have all the details below. Happy Camping!
On Friday, September 13th, The Awesome Fest will take over Adventureland Day Camp in Bensalem for the first ever Summer Camp Sleepover, an overnight horror film festival outdoors in the woods.
The Awesome Fest will screen six movies while offering the usual summer camp activities as well as fishing, rock-climbing, campfires, food trucks, horror themed vendors, marshmallow roasts, scary stories, as well as many surprises. “Campers” are even encouraged to BYOB and BYOT (bring your own tent). The movie line-up can be found inside. And it’s pretty rad. Oh, and it’s got colleague Scott Weinberg involved!
“I firmly believe this is one of the most exciting events we’ve ever created,” said Founder/Artistic Director Josh Goldbloom. “I spent the majority of my youth watching every horror film I could get my hands on well into the early morning. Now I get to do this in the woods at a summer camp, with hundreds of people that share my enthusiasm for the genre. I’m beyond excited!”
“When Josh said ‘How about an overnight at a summer camp…,’ that was all we needed,” states Scott Weinberg, programmer for the festival. “It went from an all Friday the 13th festival to an all-retro-fest to a retro-fest combined with three or four new horror films that we really like. If you’re planning an all-night six-movie horror film mini-festival, you should try to get something old and something new. And a cool location. And great people. At night. Outside.”
We HIGHLY recommend this event and if you live in the area, let us know how it g
Tickets for the event are $23 and go on sale Thursday, August 15th at noon. They can be purchased via Ticketfly through www.theawesomefest.com.Films screening:
- Friday The 13th (1980)Camp counselors are stalked and murdered by an unknown assailant while trying to reopen a summer camp that was the site of a child’s drowning.
- Sleepaway Camp (1983)30th Anniversary Screening Slightly disturbed and painfully shy Angela Baker is sent away to summer camp with her cousin. Not long after Angela’s arrival, things start to go horribly wrong for anyone with sinister or less than honorable intentions.
- Jug Face (2013)Director Chad Crawford Krinkle in attendance Jug Face tells the story of a pregnant teen trying to escape a backwoods community when she discovers that she may be sacrificed to a creature in a pit. The entity in the pit requires a life for keeping the community safe. The face of the person to be sacrificed is crafted onto a ceramic jug. When ignored, the entity unleashes an evil onto the community. Now no one is safe as tragedy befalls each member one by one and they soon realize that the pit wants what it wants.
- The Battery (2013)Director Jeremy Gardner in attendance Two former baseball players, Ben (Jeremy Gardner) and Mickey (Adam Cronheim), cut an aimless path across a desolate New England. They stick to the back roads and forests to steer clear of the shambling corpses that patrol the once bustling cities and towns. In order to survive, they must overcome the stark differences in each other’s personalities—Ben embraces an increasingly feral, lawless, and nomadic lifestyle—while Mickey is unable to accept the harsh realities of the new world. Mickey refuses to engage in Ben’s violent games and longs for the creature comforts he once took for granted. A bed, a girl, and a safe place to live. When the men intercept a radio transmission from a seemingly thriving, protected community, Mickey will stop at nothing to find it, even though it is made perfectly clear that he is not welcome.
- All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006) Special taped introduction from Director Jonathan Levine A group of high-schoolers invite Mandy Lane, a good girl who became quite hot over the summer, to a weekend party on a secluded ranch. While the festivities rage on, the number of revelers begins to drop quite mysteriously.
- The Burning (1981)A former summer camp caretaker, horribly burned from a prank gone wrong, lurks around an upstate New York summer camp bent on killing the teenagers responsible for his disfigurement.
Like what you see? Be sure to also visit Pissed Off Geek too for more news and reviews with a horrific edge. To stay up to date with the latest horror news and reviews from the site be sure to "like" Truly Disturbings's Facebook page and following us on Twitter!