Attention all Australian horror fans. If you reside in Melbourne (or can get to the city) this weekend will see zombies come to life as OZ HORROR CON takes over. Read on for the details.
One of my biggest regrets in life is leaving Melbourne to move to Brisbane. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the climate of Queensland, I enjoy the fact that I’m only 40 minutes to the beach and to every possible theme park on the Gold Coast. But what I have in the way of sun and surf, I lack in conventions designed to scare the living bejesus out of me.
So what is OZ HORROR CON?
OZ HORROR CON is a pop culture convention/expo for fans of horror movies, books, cosplay, music, graphic novels and games. The events also appeal to fans of the Supernatural and Paranormal, ghost hunters, psychics, as well as fans of esoterica or outré fashion, jewellery and body art/tattoo.
So where is it and when?
OZ HORROR CON 2012 is held at the Royal Melbourne Hotel this Saturday, October 27th. Please note that the event is for over 18’s unless accompanied by a parent or gaurdian. The event is rated M.
Tickets are on sale now for $25.00 and all information can be found on the official OZ HORROR CON website here http://www.ozhorrorcon.com/
Here’s a list of what to expect this year
- Horror hound music from the bizarre taste of Dr. Ghast!
- Zombies, Vampires, Ghouls and Monsters abound (CosPlay and fancy-dress welcome!)
- Caged Zombies from ZombieHire.com
- Bride and Groom Zombies (and more!) from Gore Play
- Meet Leslie Simpson, ‘The Crawler’ in ‘The Descent’, also in ‘Dog Soldiers’, ‘The Reckoning’ and ‘Crawlspace’…
- “6-6-6 of the Best (and worst) scenes”
- FREE membersip to Melbourne Horror Film Society $20
- Australian Horror Writer’s Association and Independent Authors book-signings, launches, panels- Geoff Brown, Lucy Sussex, Brett McBean, Cameron Oliver, Mark Smith-Briggs, Talie Helene, JC Clarke
- Australian Paranormal Society ghost-finding workshops, haunting tales from the Royal Melbourne
- Paul Bedford will be talking through ‘the cradle to the grave’ of his graphic novel “The List”
- Jason Franks, novelist, graphic novelist and author ot McBlack, The Sixsmiths, and magazine editor
- Experiences from The Paranormal Guide
- Horror Movie trivia panel game (PopCorn Video)
- Giveaways and signings, launches and previews, etc.
- CozPlay competition with prizes!
- The bar will be open and hot food available
- At 6pm, we have to vacate, but there are plenty of venues to retreat to for those ‘children of the night’…
So if you’re in Melbourne, grab yourself a ticket and go have some spooky fun. As for me? Guess I’ll grab my surfboard and go sit in the waves hoping for a Jaws sighting….
Like what you see? Be sure to also visit Pissed Off Geek too for more news and reviews with a horrific edge. To stay up to date with the latest horror news and reviews from the site be sure to "like" Truly Disturbings's Facebook page and following us on Twitter!